4 replies to this topic

#1 Fins&Sales

Fins&Sales

Advanced Member

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

This is currently what I am using to grow out Xiphophorus fry. Ten gallon aquariums, bare bottom with plastic plants, no light, a heater, and a mechanical/biological filter. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a cover that will keep fry in but allow gas exchange. Keeping heat in is a plus. I do 25%-50% water changes daily and fry to feed fish 2-3 times a day. What do you use?

lE98yO5.jpg

#2 Lisachromis

Lisachromis

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

I use lids made of Lexan (equivalent)

#3 Thriftyfisher

Thriftyfisher

A fish in every pot

• ALA Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids MI

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

I use glass covers that I make myself.  Have a local hardware store (not a big box one) cut glass to the size you need.  Take a glass cutter and cut off a corner or two so that cords and airline can get into the tank (don't make they too big).  Then get a piece of fine floor sanding paper, 100 or 150 grit (it holds up well) and sand the edges.  I do this outside because of the dust and wearing a mask is a good idea but I don't.  You will need a pair of leather gloves.  Once sanded rinse and dry. These are easy to make and last a long time if you aren't clumsy like me.

I also have water lettuce on the surface of many of my tanks.  You need moderate to high light for this plant to do well but water lettuce is great for removing waste from the water and the roots give the fish something to pick at.

#4 shadowhyrst

shadowhyrst

Home away from home

• ALA Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:28 AM

Screen door material is useful. As is 1/4 x 1/4 inch wire mesh.

I don't use anything for my growouts other than floating plastic plants, and I keep the light on 24 x 7. Biological filters and activity around the tank gets them used to movement. Also keeping them higher helps--they see fewer potential predators that way, and my cats can't get to them...

#5 OldSchoolChris

OldSchoolChris

Advanced Member

• ALA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

I am currently using a plant sprouting tank I hurriedly turned into a fry tank:
Attached File  YLHjtvts9JOUTda9wOXKGSF2klDi6oEQ5j2kSVBaQk4=w1148-h861-no.jpg   224.96KB   0 downloads

I found that a plastic lid from a picnic silverware container from local grocery store chain pits inside the top of the Grreat Choice 2.5 gallon tanks perfectly! I cut slits in the back for air/heater lines and since it fit the tank from side to side, but was too long front to back, the back side is raised up just enough for gas exchange to get out easily and keep most of the moisture in.

Have you ever sen duckweed roots this long?
Attached File  IMG_20150313_153318.jpg   138.72KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users