#1 OldSchoolChris

OldSchoolChris

Advanced Member

• ALA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

I wanted a tank to grow plants in and also a centerpiece in my kitchen. I love the natural look. I started an attempt in that direction, with low funds and no hurries.

Here is stage one:

#2 Lisachromis

Lisachromis

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

Keep us updated.  Looks interesting.

#3 mikeski

mikeski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:44 AM

No hurries is the key.

#4 OldSchoolChris

OldSchoolChris

Advanced Member

• ALA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:18 AM

11 fry, only 1 male. Took him out and out him in my male tank. No colors on him yet, but his "special" fin is quite obvious.

Added an otocinclus catfish for algae duty.

Penny wort  and Amazon are doing well - new growth.

Annubius in my female tank sprouted a new leaf and a nub. That will be divided soon to add to the river tank.

This will be my breeding tank for the one male I have selected for a starting pattern/look.

#5 apple429

apple429

Just popping in

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

Looks like it will be very very nice tank when the plants grow out! Keep us updated please, I am very interested in watching the progress!

#6 OldSchoolChris

OldSchoolChris

Advanced Member

• ALA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

DIatoms will not go away.

- Micros swords have yet to take hold. Each clump has but one yellowing leaf. I am removing these today with clippers.

- I added a few more Otociclus to run with the single I had in there. They have made some progress, but not much. They have cleaned off 1/4 of the back wall spotless!

- A few more smaller ghost shrimp to help with the food clean up that the fry miss. Feeding them all sparingly, into a floating ring that keeps the food till it is complete soaked.

- Added another Anubias I got at PetSmart. The selections that come in their own plastic container, not from the gold fish tank they keep all the other plants in.

- Scheduled water change is today - doing 25% (4 gallons)

On a side note, the one small male fry I got out of the tank is already showing colors one week after placing him in the male tank. I am feeding them TetraColor and it must work wonders!

#7 OldSchoolChris

OldSchoolChris

Advanced Member

• ALA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

Before:
Attached File  DSCN4047.JPG   136.53KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN4049.JPG   101.41KB   0 downloads

Now:
Attached File  IMG_20150313_153043.jpg   183.31KB   0 downloads

The Pennywort has really taken off in some spots. The largest section has nearly doubled in size in two weeks.

I also found another little male in there, placed him in my male tank as well.

• Lisachromis likes this

#8 OldSchoolChris

OldSchoolChris

Advanced Member

• ALA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

Attached File  DSCN41761.JPG   135.77KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN41801.JPG   97.82KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN41791.JPG   125.86KB   0 downloads

Down to three virgin females, all males have been removed as soon as any signs showed of gender. Platy will be added next so she can be be away from the harassing female guppy in the 10 gallon.

#9 OldSchoolChris

OldSchoolChris

Advanced Member

• ALA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

Left for the weekend, CO2 died and power was out at some point. Tank exploded over the next few weeks into full blown algae, short and thick. I water changed, light changed, scraped let it 'run it's course' - nothing helped. Most of the plants died. Sword plant an Anubias were basically unaffected.

I purchased four black mollies, 1 male/3 female. 75% of the tank is algae free now. I also got a great deal on some platies, so those were eventually introduced. Dwarf hair grass, what was left of it, was uprooted by the mollies/platies so some of that has been re-purposed into other tanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users