• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BettaPonic

BettaPonic

Just popping in

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:53 AM

I have my population of genetics and do not want to start over. I isolated two of the three females left to keep them from being harassed. How can I increase the female population? My females get curved spines and die. The males show no problems though. How can I save my Guppies? I ordered some anti parasite food and de stressor. I also plan on using some of the males to start back up populations.

#2 LDick

LDick

Chairman, BOD

• ALA Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:15 AM

Welcome to the ALA forums, BettaPonic!

It seems like your female guppies may have a dietary deficiency that is causing this bent spine syndrome.  I did a bit of research on this, and found the following information:

DEFICIENCY DISEASES

Except for vitamin D deficiency, very little is known about fish deficiency diseases. The very nature of their natural food almost warrants they receive all the known vitamins, but under artificial conditions they could conceivably have a deficiency. Mineral deficiencies are doubtless common, a fact we can determine knowing the inadequate diets often fed to guppies.

Rickets
A disease caused by a deficiency of calcium or phosphorus or vitamin D; one, two or all three. A crooked spine and the resulting bend in the fish's body is the usual evidence, although the unfortunate humpback can live and even reproduce. It is not a pleasant sight among the fishes of the aquarium.
 Proper lighting can prevent D deficiency; the active rays affect ergosterol in the skin of the fish and change it to the irradiated form which is vitamin D. Sometimes whole aquariums will show bent spines but generally only a few of the fishes are affected. There is no treatment; it is all a matter of prevention which is primarily a matter of proper feeding of a complete diet.

http://www.guppies.c...id=23&Itemid=36

I hope this information helps you with your females!

Best fishes,

Leslie

#3 OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics

• ALA Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne Indiana

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

Like Leslie said if you have a vitamin issue feeding different foods will really help them. I feed a good quality flake food 2 or 3 times a day. On top of the flake food I feed green beans(out of a can is fine) 3 or 4 times a week, good quality African cichlid pellets(once per day) and algae wafers (on days I don't feed beans).

If it was my group of guppies here is what I would do. It isn't a fast process and not really pretty because I would be culling to keep the line strong. You will need a few tanks also.

A-- Start feeding different types of food and feed heavy.

B-- Keep the females alone for a few weeks so they can fatten up and get ready to breed. We will call this tank #1

C-- After the females are ready add the best looking male from the current stock to tank #1 with the females and allow them to breed. All other fish need to be culled or at least moved so they never rejoin the colony.

D-- Wait until the females start to drop fry(27-32 days) and pull the male out put him in a new tank (tank #2) and after the females have dropped all the fry(5-10 days) move them to tank #2

E-- Keep doing water changes on tank #1 and feeding 3 -4 times per day,(ground up flake food is fine) Once you see fry in tank #2 repeat the process to tank #3. 

F-- After this you will have 2 tanks with fry and they should be growing well. You can keep the adults but don't keep them with the fry you just made, keep doing water changes and feeding well. You can put the fry from both tanks together to make it easier. After 3 months you will have a nice "new" colony of guppies. You should have about a 50/50 mix of males and females.

Over the years I have seen colones of livebearers dwindle away and die off. I never knew why but over time you would see them produce less and less until there wasn't enough left to keep going. Never really getting "sick" just not thriving. But I just read an article by Greg Sage about how the fastest growing males aren't the males you want to breed in the colony, you should pull those and allow the slower growing males do the breeding because that will keep the colony stronger and it won't dwindle away over time. I can find it if anyone wants to read it but it was on his site. But I think this is what caused my colony's to fail over the years.

If you do pull the fastest growing males from the "new" colony it will have a larger number of females and should really explode in numbers at the 8-9 month point.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users