2 replies to this topic

#1 FleurirAquatics

FleurirAquatics

Just popping in

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

Hello!

My name is Mackenzie and I am new(ish) to Livebearers.

I did have fancy guppies when I was a kid, but since getting back into the hobby as an adult, I've been keeping and breeding Betta fish.

As much as I love my Bettas, I was really missing having livebearers. When I started seriously doing some research, I knew that I wanted a fish that didn't require a heater, was peaceful (compared to Bettas, many are!), and that I would enjoy watching/owning/researching and potentially breeding.

I ended up going with Goodeids, Xenotoca doadrioi specifically. I have eight youngsters currently and I am enjoying watching them interact, and they are eating well. Some of the males (well, I assume they are male) have started to color up, and I am excited to work with them!

We will see how this all goes, but I have a feeling that I am hooked on Goodeids now...

I am looking forward to learning from this awesome community and hope that I won't ask too many stupid questions!

#2 LDick

LDick

Chairman, BOD

• ALA Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hi Mackenzie and welcome to the forums!

I'm pleased to know that you are interested in keeping Goodeids, especially since most of these species are at risk in the wild.  The North American Goodeid Working Group NAGWG is a committee of the ALA, and there are quite a number of ALA paid members who are members of this group.  I suggest that you become a paid member of the ALA so that you can begin receiving our quarterly Livebearers Journal.  There are articles by ALA members on breeding goodieds, and you can become a member of the NAGWG.  As a member of the NAGWG, you will be able to see the list of goodieds held by members, with the possibility of purchasing more species.

The NAGWG meets annually at our convention and there is always an auction of goodeids at this meeting.  If you are able to attend this year's convention in St. Louis, MO, you should be able to take advantage of this auction, as well as the Sunday auction, where more goodieds species should be for sale.

You can become a member by going to http://www.livebeare...g/join_ala.html .  Annual membership in the US is currently $25/year.

The ALA convention is at ala2017.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook...67618083456160/

And remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!

Best fishes,

Leslie

#3 njk

njk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWichita.

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

Welcome aboard!

Nate

0 user(s) are reading this topic