• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kcmatamata

kcmatamata

Just popping in

• ALA Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

So Spring is here and thoughts turn to setting up tubs outside for a few fish. My biggest issue is frogs. 

A variety of croaking, hopping and other than eating my fish otherwise pleasing critters. Tubs at ground level or elevated all seem to end up with lots of tadpoles and no fish after a few weeks. Dragon fly larve may also be an issue, but lets beat one beast at a time.

I am looking for suggested solutions, I can buy pond netting and cover each one I guess (what net has anyone used with success), but any other things work for anyone?

Thanks,

Keith

#2 OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics

• ALA Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne Indiana

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

I plan on setting up some tubs out side also but I haven't thought about frogs eating the fish.

I think I would build a frame to cover the top of the tub out of wood or PVC pipe and put normal window screen over it. If you got the fiberglass screen it might last you a few years. That should keep out all but the smallest stuff and allow light and air to pass thru. Depending on what the tubs are made from you could put hinges on the tops to make it easier to prop open.

• kcmatamata likes this

#3 njk

njk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWichita.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

I've would of never thought about the frogs. Curious to see what other people's solutions are.

Nate.
  • kcmatamata likes this

#4 LDick

LDick

Chairman, BOD

• ALA Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

For the past several years, I've set out up to eight 34-gallon pond inserts and several 74 liter "muck buckets".  I put out all my marginal plants on the 3 shelves in each pond and fertilize them.  You want to promote root growth, since these plants are your natural water filters.  Once the water temps are warm enough, I  also set hardy pond lilies into the water (and fertilize heavily to get flowers).  I usually replace the water with fresh water before adding the fish, since heavy fertilization on the plants causes elevated ammonia levels in the water.

Marginals can grow as tall as several feet, and pond liliy flowers can be several inches above the water level.  Pond lilies provide cover and shade, and can help keep "jumpers" in the water. You need both types of plants in a successful outdoor tub or pond. I think it would be difficult to your ponds with a framed-out structure.  Pond netting may work, if you work around your tall marginals.

Each year, I find aquatic frogs in a few of my ponds, and spring is also the time for Eastern gray tree frogs. I check my ponds daily and when I find frogs, I net the aquatic frogs out of the ponds and rehome them in a local pond.  The gray tree frogs occasionally do spawn in my tubs, and I net out as many eggs as I can. some, of course, remain hidden. The tadpoles eat algae and I've not found that they predate fry.  The froglets leave the ponds as soon as they are grown, and they are very small.

Our Livebearers journal editor, Ted Coletti, has been summer tubbing for about 20 years, and has a Facebook page for summer tubbers.  If you are interested, the name is "Northeast Fish Tub & Water Garden Study Group".  Ted and other members share good information and beautiful photos of their ponds.

Best fishes,

Leslie

• kcmatamata likes this

#5 kcmatamata

kcmatamata

Just popping in

• ALA Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

thanks Leslie I will check out the FB page. 

#6 c-cat

c-cat

Just popping in

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:30 AM

Native frogs haven't been a problem in my outdoor tubs, but I'm in a fairly dry area and I don't think they stray too far from the lakes and rivers around here (Denver).  

#7 ciclasoman

ciclasoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

I have kept outdoor ponds for several years in central Texas- I have selected fish that can tolerate winter and extreme summer temperatures typical of Texas, most ponds have aquatic plants and just a couple have tree cover. Turbidity is common in full sun which is really not a problem because the fish don't mind it, I keep an air pump to prevent fish kills with changes in temperature or rain fall. Frogs had been a serious problem in the past, leopard frogs are common here, never mind carnivorous dragon fly larvae- my problem with the frogs is that a single spawn can decimate all the fish eggs for a generation. So I have invested in pond netting- I buy a narrow 1 inch (or it may be 3/4) from Dr Foster's web site- it is economical and I secure it to the pond with large paper clips. My ponds have a healthy fish population keeping frogs and dragon flies away.

#8 OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics

• ALA Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne Indiana

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

Very nice info.

I didn't get my ponds setup because I had a few non fish related issues come up and took most of my time this summer. I will try again next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users