5 replies to this topic

#1 OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics

• ALA Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne Indiana

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Most of use know the Goodeid are small livebearers that many hobbyist keep but aren't part of the main stream fish you find in fish stores. This makes it a little hard for people to get a group to start with.

Here is my idea that is in the very early stages and needs some tweaking I'm sure.

Starting with 3 people keeping the same fish in colony tanks call them breeder A, B, and C.

Once a year
Breeder A will send 3-4 fish to Breeder B
Breeder B will send 3-4 fish to Breeder C
Breeder C will send 3-4 fish to Breeder A

With all three breeders keeping the particular population of fish this will help keep the genetics stable, reduce inbreeding and less likely of the populations getting "lost" by mistakes or accidents. This will also save space as a breeder won't have to have multiple tanks setup for the same fish to get the same benefits.

As new people join in the exchange the number of fish would expand and make the population more stable and possible build up populations so they could be reintroduced to the wild if that is the goal for that fish. But that is beyond the scope of this group and would be the job of the GWG

This could be done with multiple species so if you had 4 tanks of Goodeid you could be shipping and receiving fish from each colony. Adding more fish to the shipment wouldn't cost that much more.

The key would be to have one person that collects the data on who is shipping fish, how the fish arrived to the new location and what species each person is keeping. This way they could work out what breeder sends fish to the next breeder and if someone isn't helping they can be removed from the list.

As I said this is in the early stages so not ready to start and could be adjusted as needed. Let me know what you think? And if you are willing to join the group once we get is started.

#2 c-cat

c-cat

Just popping in

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:25 AM

I'd be interested.  I keep Characodon lateralis "los berros" here in Denver, and I've been considering ways to diversify my gene pool periodically.  (Coincidentally, we drive through Ft Wayne at least four times a year, visiting my wife's parents in Ohio.  So I could hand-deliver a few, if you're into this type.)

#3 OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics

• ALA Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

The Characodon lateralis is one of the fish I hope to pick up, so I would be very happy to meet up with you ask you come through town. Once I get my groups going I can send you back with a few fish also. I'm going to a big auction next month in Indianapolis so hoping to get a few types there. 

I have been email Chris Neal and John Lyons about this and there are a few people working on setting up a group kinda like this. I would really like to get this group(or something very close) up and running in this year.

#4 c-cat

c-cat

Just popping in

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

Sounds great.  I've been in touch with John via email, and Chris through Facebook.  Hopefully we can all work together and not duplicate efforts on this.  It would be valuable.

#5 OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics

• ALA Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

That is our goal to work together and not duplicate stuff and make one nice group.

If I can get my colony going maybe next time you come thru the area (on the way home) I can get you a few fish also. I should have a good idea in 2 weeks after the auction.

#6 c-cat

c-cat

Just popping in

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

Sounds good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users