• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mr_southwest

mr_southwest

Just can't stay away

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:37 AM

So I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, i'm 21 years old but have already collected alot of species of wild type livebearers, I have tanks spread out in the living room and in the bedrooms. I even have a few on the floor so I want to build a shelf to take up all of 1 wall in my bedroom. Whats the best kind of food to use for it? I live next to a home depot so I could get supplies from there but i'm not sure how to build one. Anyone have tips or suggestions?

#2 ksimdjembe

ksimdjembe

Just popping in

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

This may be of help.
http://condofishkeeping.blogspot.com/

#3 copper

copper

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

This is a link to a professional angel fish breeder's fish room.You might get a few ideas from this site.www.angelsonly.con/hatchery

#4 Thriftyfisher

Thriftyfisher

A fish in every pot

• ALA Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids MI

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:31 AM

Menards has some good shelving that can be used for fish tanks. You have to buy the uprights and shelf supports separate but this allows you to customize the width and dept of the shelves in the rack. This is good because you can get deeper uprights if you want to view the short end of the tanks or shallower 15” deep uprights to view the wide side of the tank. Each shelf can hold up to 1100lbs so you should be safe there. If they don't have the shelf depth you want in stock you can ask as they do have special order sizes at good prices but they take about 2 weeks for delivery.

#5 mr_southwest

mr_southwest

Just can't stay away

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

Copper- I can't get that link to work, is it an up and running website?

Thanks but we don't have a Menards around here, I could try Home depot though, i'll probably go check it out today.

#6 copper

copper

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

When you hit the link you will get a list of sites,go to the site that says angels only hatchery.I was on it this mourning.This is a great fish room with a lot of links to sites that carry fish room STUFF !!

#7 Thriftyfisher

Thriftyfisher

A fish in every pot

• ALA Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids MI

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

It's unfortunate that you don't have a Menards by you, and this is the only time I will say that as I really don't like them. I haven't found the same type of shelving at Home Depot or at Lowes.

Good luck.

#8 Alex

Alex

Home away from home

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

Check out the DIY area of the forum there is a thread on how to build the shelves.

#9 mr_southwest

mr_southwest

Just can't stay away

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

Thanks everyone. Also I have a question I have a 55 gallon with 8 Xiph. Clemenciae, 7 Limia Caymensis, and 6 Poecilia Sphenops, I do weekly 30% water changes but a few days after the water change the X. Clemenciae stay at the top sucking air most of the day almost like their oxygen deprived. It's a bare tank with about 3 cups of java moss and 2 large spawning mops.

#10 Alex

Alex

Home away from home

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

I would use an air powered filter to solve that. I use those in all of my tanks and that never happens to me.

#11 mr_southwest

mr_southwest

Just can't stay away

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

Like a sponge filter?

#12 Alex

Alex

Home away from home

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:29 PM

Yes.

#13 copper

copper

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

You know there are many people who say you should change this percentage or that percentage of water every day,week or month.It may be okay for them.You must change your water before it becomes dirty.The amount and frequency of your water changes depend on how many fish and how many gallons of water,also how much food your feeding them.Testing your water for ammonia,nitites,and nitrates will give you a good feel for how often and how much water you must change.Your water test kit is your friend.Use it OFTEN.It will confirm that you are keeping up with a proper schedule of water changes.

#14 mr_southwest

mr_southwest

Just can't stay away

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

Well everything is right on point except for the PH and acidic levels are still too low i keep adding seashells but not seeing much of a change it went from 6.4 to 6.6. I know i also heard to use crushed coral but i couldnt find it at the petstore. Do I put the shells in the cartridge filter or just leave em on the bottom? I know ppl put the crushed coral in the filter.

#15 Oldman

Oldman

Home away from home

• ALA Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

If you want a significant effect on pH, the shells go into the flow path of the filter. That will get the calcium carbonate of the shell to interact more directly with the water. If you look at the sand they sell for a salt water tank, it will be composed of mostly crushed shell or crushed coral. From a chemical point of view, there is not much difference.

#16 copper

copper

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

I think your PH is okay.If you want to raise your PH the simplest and best method is to place a few pieces of limestome or pieces of marble.The effect on the PH is slow and is not felt until several days have passed.If you want to raise your PH quickly,add some dissolved baking soda(sodium carbonate)until the desired PH is attained.Many years ago I used to use crushed oyster shells that I bought from bird feed stores.They feed the oster shells to chickens ,this helps them digest the grain they eat,its called grit.Be careful if you decide to use grit, make sure there is nothing added to it to make it smell better.Ask for PLAIN crushed oyster shells,natural not artificially made.Nature makes few mistakes.

#17 Guest_Betty_*

Guest_Betty_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

Here's a calculator you can use for the baking soda
http://dataguru.org/...arium/calKH.asp

Could you post the KH of your tap water and your tank?

When are they piping?

#18 mr_southwest

mr_southwest

Just can't stay away

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

The PH is about 6.4 from my tap water. Piping?

#19 Guest_Betty_*

Guest_Betty_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

Piping:
>the X. Clemenciae stay at the top sucking air most
>of the day almost like their oxygen deprived.

so it doesn't happen with the lights out?

piping suggests either low O2 or high CO2 or impaired gill function. no flashing or other signs of irritation?

#20 Alex

Alex

Home away from home

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

The best method to get the pH up is to use pH up or some water stabilizer it adds to the buffering compacity of the water so it doesn't have things like pH spikes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users