• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mirembrooklyn

mirembrooklyn

Not too shy to talk

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I just lost a plecostomus from my swordtail tank. The swordtails are doing fine, the only thing I can think of is that the pH was too high for the pleco, or that it was sick to begin with. That tank has been going for 5 weeks (see "Help! My fish is sick!") but seems stable now, so I was surprised that the pleco died.

In short: what algae eaters do you recommend for a pH of about 8?

#2 Lisachromis

Lisachromis

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Were you feeding anything extra for the pleco? Most people assume that they'll eat the algae from the tank and that's all they need. Once the algae is gone, they need supplemental feeding.

#3 mirembrooklyn

mirembrooklyn

Not too shy to talk

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

I wasn't feeding anything extra for the pleco, but the swordtails were getting peas every few days and it seems like most of that would sink to the bottom. I fed some cucumber too. Do you think it starved to death? That's an awful thought. I did notice that the pleco had slowed down a lot in the couple of days before it died.

#4 Lisachromis

Lisachromis

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

I suppose it's possible. It could have died from illness or another cause too. It's really hard to second guess these things.

#5 copper

copper

Home away from home

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Plecostomus come from La Plata region,Rio Grande do Sul,Trinidad.They like slightly hard,alkaline water.On the other hand Ancistrus come from the upper Amazon,Colombia.Does NOT like salt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users