• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Melody

Melody

Home away from home

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

Some Livebearers prefer it on the cool side, like most Goodeids. My X. captivus never minded the heat but others are more sensitive.

Filling clean, plastic beverage bottles with water and freezing them (leave some space for expansion) is a popular method. You can use a bottle size that is appropriate for the tank size so it doesn't get too chilly.

Please share your best tips for keeping the tank cool as we start the crazy, hazy days of Summer!

#2 DWFISH

DWFISH

Just can

• ALA Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

I put new air ducts in my basement to cool down the room.
I bought those plastic ice cubes from the dollar store and they work great, besides this play with them as well. but since I add new duct I dont use them.

#3 Fishpunk

Fishpunk

Just can't stay away

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:41 AM

My solution is to keep fish that can take the heat. In Phoenix it is not easy to keep a tank cool.

#4 icantquit

icantquit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:46 AM

Water bottle method--buy a few cases of water, freeze it, take out what you need put it in your tank and just let it sit. Once the bottle turns to water just replace it. Cheap and effected. I have never had problems with these water bottles breaking in my freezer. I buy the cheapest ones I can find. Here woodmans sells 2-24 packs for 4.00 that usually works.

#5 Melody

Melody

Home away from home

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

I just refill mine. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users