Breeding tank set up for platys

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hello,

I have been searching all over the web trying to find out specific breeding tank set-ups for breeding platys. I have the pair I want to breed(nothing to fancy) but the male is very shy and won't try to mate with the female very hard. I have other males that would be more then happy to breed with her. But I want this male to come out of his shell. He is rather unique and I would like a batch of fry.

Everyone said "they will mate in almost any set up" and this is true. But I know that most fish have a time of the year they breed, or a specific area in the body of water that they go to breed in (shallow feeding grounds or whatever)

For example, dwarf gouramis bread best in about 6-8 inches of water with a high temp resembling the dry season in there natural environment.

So what can I do to mimic natural platy environment conditions to turn that male on and make him get busy?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

#2 platymef

platymef

Home away from home

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

It sounds like there might be something wrong with your male. It could be age or he might have some other issue.
Platies don't require a certain set up like a bubble nest breeder or temperature adjustments like Corydoras or Goldfish. If he's not breeding, it's not because of the set up. You don't have to create an natural enviroment to get them to breed.

Darrell E. Mefford

#3 gerard

gerard

Home away from home

• ALA Members
  • 471 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

IO agree. Anytime there appears to be a fish that is shy for more than a few days there is usually something else wrong. I would isolate him in a seperate tank for recovery and monitor him with out other fish around and watch his behavior especiall monitor if he is eating.
gerard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users