• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 junebug

junebug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

Given that photographing my fish is impossible, I took videos instead. The tank is a 20 gallon long, heinously overstocked at the moment until I sell some fish lol.

It's a biotope representing central america and the northern part of south america. Residents are my swordtail breeding (aka eating all babies) group, endler males, and guppy males. I breed all of these fish and needed a place to keep the boys to reduce the amount of fry I've been seeing in my other tanks.

Anyway I'm a bit limited on space, so this is what I ended up with. Some of these swords are probably moving out soon, I'll probably only permanently keep the Berlin male and pineapple girl, she's albino and will make a nice cross to him.

Plants include but are not limited to:
Mayaca fluvitalis, creeping charlier (not 100% sure of species) some kind of red sword plant, red cabomba which has mostly melted off, pygmy chain sword, dwarf chainsword varieties, Echinodorus "Marble Queen", fissidens fontanus, assorted frogbit type species, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten about.

I'm looking for a water hyacinth type plant that's small enough for this tank. Haven't found one yet but it'll come to me eventually.

Hopefully when the plants really start growing in, I'll have a lot of nice hiding spots for fry, and be able to breed right in the main tank. This thing is Walstad method, fully dirted, low light, except it's way overstocked. I still have only done a few water changes on this tank, and since the water cleared up, I haven't done one. I mostly refill when the water level is low.

#2 bpill428

bpill428

Quite a regular

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

Junebug--

Is the discolored water from the tannins from the driftwood? I have some driftwood but I'm afraid to put it in my tank because I don't want it to make my water all discolored and lower the pH.

Thanks,

Brandon

#3 junebug

junebug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

Yes, but if you can see in the second video, it's gone.

My tap water is ridiculously high pH, hard, and EXTREMELY well-buffered, so I don't have much of an issue with driftwood lowering pH too much unless I go too long without a water change (which I did last time without realizing it :( poor fishies were very upset).

Additionally, the use of Seachem Purigen in my filter removed all traces of tannins from the wood. Eventually I'll stop filtration completely except when I have a large batch of fry in the tank :) The UV sterilizer kills bacteria and moves more water than I need it to, so once I get some more plants in there and things really take off, I should be able to stop all chemical and biological filtration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users